Amidst the death throes of an old worldview, something finer is slowly dawning through the awakening human heart.
…our sense of who we are is being released from the confines of material limitations
There have been many deaths within the aeonial life cycle of the initiate:
1. The familiar and constantly recurring death of the physical body, incarnation after incarnation.
2. The deaths of the astral and the mental vehicles, as the undying soul discards them life after life—only to create new ones until mastery is attained.
3. Then—as a result of the incarnating process and its evolutionary effects—there comes the death of desire and its replacing by a growing spiritual aspiration.
4. Then, through right use of the mind, comes the “death” of the personality or, rather, its repudiation and renouncing of all that is material.
5. This is followed by the death or destruction of the causal or soul body at the great Initiation of Renunciation.
This process of death and resurrection goes on ceaselessly in all the kingdoms of nature; each death prepares the way for a greater loveliness and livingness, and each death (if you analyse it with care) prefaces resurrection in some form or another until we come to this final resurrection and into the position of final attainment.
… this process of constant death followed by constant resurrection … is the evolutionary keynote and the evolutionary technique, and only because men love unduly that which is material and hate to lose contact with the form aspect of nature do they fear death. It is wise to remember that immortality is an aspect of the living spiritual being, and is not an end in itself, as men seek to make it.
To the Knowers of Life such a phrase as ‘I am an immortal Soul’ is not even true. To say ‘I am Life Itself and, therefore, am immortal’ approaches closer to the truth, but even that sentence is …only a part of a larger truth. Symbolically, nature is ever portraying to us the essential facts in the annual progress of the four seasons, in the cycles of light and dark and in the wonder of the emergence of beauty or colour or useful function out of a seed which has struggled—because of its inherent life—into the light of the sun.” The Rays and the Initiations, page 731
…we are experiencing the death of the old and the resurrection of the new.
“…And from a cliff-top is proclaimed
The gathering of the souls for birth,
The trial by existence named,
The obscuration upon earth.
And the slant spirits trooping by
In streams and cross- and counter-streams
Can but give ear to that sweet cry
For its suggestion of what dreams!
And the more loitering are turned
To view once more the sacrifice
Of those who for some good discerned
Will gladly give up paradise.
And a white shimmering concourse rolls
Toward the throne to witness there
The speeding of devoted souls
Which God makes his especial care.
And none are taken but who will,
Having first heard the life read out
That opens earthward, good and ill,
Beyond the shadow of a doubt;
And very beautifully God limns,
And tenderly, life’s little dream,
But naught extenuates or dims,
Setting the thing that is supreme…”
Trial by Existence ~ Robert Frost
Let us take the Kingdom of Souls as our guiding compass point from whence we come and to which we return.